• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpaid $4,000 in property taxes. Do I have recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fcwedd

Michigan

My wife and I purchased our first home on Oct. 09.

I recently had noticed that I was paying more in taxes than everyone else on my street. I took a trip to the city hall to find out why.

It turns out that I've been paying Non-Homestead taxes. Apparently I was supposed to file a (pre) affidavit to claim my home as my primary residence. This issue has been corrected and I'm now paying my correct share of property taxes. However, they refuse to compensate or credit me for the $4,000 that I overpaid. This was a few months ago.

As a first-time purchaser, I've never heard of having to file the pre affidavit.

Anyways, I received a letter a few days ago (out of the blue) stating that I was going to be compensated for my overpaid taxes. I called up to learn that the amount is $350.00.

Curious.

I'm a tad upset. If I had owed them taxes, they would be putting bars on my door.

I'm not familiar with state / tax law. Is this something I should (or even can) pursue? Any ideas?

LdiJ

Michigan

My wife and I purchased our first home on Oct. 09.

I recently had noticed that I was paying more in taxes than everyone else on my street. I took a trip to the city hall to find out why.

It turns out that I've been paying Non-Homestead taxes. Apparently I was supposed to file a (pre) affidavit to claim my home as my primary residence. This issue has been corrected and I'm now paying my correct share of property taxes. However, they refuse to compensate or credit me for the $4,000 that I overpaid. This was a few months ago.

As a first-time purchaser, I've never heard of having to file the pre affidavit.

Anyways, I received a letter a few days ago (out of the blue) stating that I was going to be compensated for my overpaid taxes. I called up to learn that the amount is $350.00.

Curious.

I'm a tad upset. If I had owed them taxes, they would be putting bars on my door.

I'm not familiar with state / tax law. Is this something I should (or even can) pursue? Any ideas?
Generally, with property taxes there is a limit as to how far back you can go for a refund if you did not apply for discounts you were entitled to receive. I suspect that in your municipality the time period is limited to the current year...or the current period. Hence, the 350.00.

However, in some states its also the responsibility of the title company and/or the attorney handling the closing to ensure that you signed all of the necessary paperwork to ensure that the property taxes were handled appropriately. Therefore you could potentially have some recourse there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">