• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment applied to other tax years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eshavs

What is the name of your state? NEVADA
My ex wife stated she received notice from the IRS in September that payment form her 1991 and 1992 return (prior to our marriage) was applied to our 'joint' 2000 tax return. She wants $3,000. Per the divorce decree I am responsible for our debts to the IRS for the 'joint' 2000, 2001, 2002 returns. We were married in 1998 and divorced 2004. I have been making installment payments to the IRS for over a year and have not received anything stating reduction in balance. Will the IRS give me information regarding my ex's 1991 and 1992 return since we were not married then? Would the IRS really go back that far?????

Snipes5

I can think of how this "might" be true, but more likely she is full of it.

You don't need to see those returns. Tell her you want to see the IRS letter telling her that her $$ have been applied in this manner, otherwise, she gets nothing.

If she filed those returns late, the IRS keeps the money, because they are LONG past overdue. If she filed them on time, she has long since received those "refunds".

Better yet, tell her your attorney would like to see a copy of those letters or she isn't getting squat. The debt is owed to the IRS, not to her.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">