• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Own a house and bought land elsewhere. Are both deductible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddunfee

What is the name of your state? TX

I own a house in one county (Collin) and have purchased land in another county (Denton) and plan to build our next house on it in a year or so. I closed on the property in Oct 2004. Can I claim the property taxes and interest on the land AND the property taxes and interest paid on the house on the itemized deductions?

The seller gave us credit on the closing for the taxes. Do I claim ALL of the taxes or the portion that I am responsible for?

Thanks.

abezon

You can deduct all property taxes paid. You can deduct the mortgage interst on your primary residence & your vacation residence.

You can deduct taxes for which you are responsible. Take your closing papers to a tax pro to figure out what settlement charges are deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">