• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid a signing bonus in foreign stock shares

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willie1975

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I received some stock shares from previous employer for a sign on bonus. The employer is a publicly listed company, their stock (which is what I was paid in) is on the london stock exchange and what I have is a stock certificate from what I guess is a holding company of some sort, Principa in London. Now is this income that will be reported on my W2 ? I am working on getting the shares "transferred" to the US by a US based broker.
1. Is it income now while still being in London ?
2. Does it become income when it is transferred to the US ? I dont know if that is even possible without selling them on the london exchange and then the cash is transferred ?
3. At some point will federal tax be withheld ?

I just . don't want to be hit for a tax penalty here. I'm not even sure if I owe UK taxes, all the work done for this company was done by me here in the US 100%

Thanks for any help. This one is all new to me.

davew128

The stock should be reported as compensation income when it was received by you without any restrictions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">