• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partner of an LLC who also works for a wage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Azreaal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am in an LLC Partnership in Arizona with 5 members, each with equal shares of P/L (20%). However, 2 of the members, myself included, work in the business full-time for a wage that has been agreed upon by all members, that does not count as our portion of the profits. Should the two working members receive 1099 forms for their wages? If so, how would you account for that on a Schedule SE, as it only mentions income from Schedule C and Schedule K-1 which don't seem applicable for these wages.

Thank You

adjusterjack

I suggest you consult a tax pro.

My guess is that the two of you are W-2 employees and your company should be withholding taxes and social security and the two of you should be filing individual tax returns based on that W-2 income.

And, by the way, should also be paying into your state's unemployment compensation program and covering you for workers compensation.

If you are getting this wrong, it could cost you penalties from several directions.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am in an LLC Partnership in Arizona with 5 members, each with equal shares of P/L (20%). However, 2 of the members, myself included, work in the business full-time for a wage that has been agreed upon by all members, that does not count as our portion of the profits. Should the two working members receive 1099 forms for their wages? If so, how would you account for that on a Schedule SE, as it only mentions income from Schedule C and Schedule K-1 which don't seem applicable for these wages.

Thank You
Those are not really wages, they are guaranteed payments to partners. Those guaranteed payments to partners would be handled in the 1065 and would flow through to those partners via their K-1s. There would be no 1099's issued and the Schedule K-1s would flow through to the Schedule SE on their personal returns, to handle the self-employment tax.

Hopefully you will not be doing the business taxes yourself. Just let your tax professional know that two of the partners have received guaranteed payments to partners.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">