• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partnership Income.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ataylor123

State of Nevada.

Okay, a long time buddy and I are writing a book together. I am curious about how the income / taxes will work.

For example, lets say we earn $1,000,000 from selling books. Our agreement is a 55/45 partnership. So, if I receive a check for $1,000,000 how can I give him his $450,000? Is it a "gift?" How does this work?

LdiJ

State of Nevada.

Okay, a long time buddy and I are writing a book together. I am curious about how the income / taxes will work.

For example, lets say we earn $1,000,000 from selling books. Our agreement is a 55/45 partnership. So, if I receive a check for $1,000,000 how can I give him his $450,000? Is it a "gift?" How does this work?
You need to set up an actual partnership. Then the partnership needs to receive a check made out to the partnership, and then the partnership would file a partnership return allocating the profits to each of you in the 55/45 split, and the taxes would flow through to your personal returns via a K-1. The partnership would then distribute the profits to each of you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">