• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

penalties for filing joint taxes when divorced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon-My husband's divorce from his ex wife became final Aug.2004. We married in May2006-I just found out he and his ex have filed joint taxes 2004-2007 in order to get better returns,and my husband wanted to claim there daughter on taxes,and so did his ex. He hid this from me,and said it was none of my business when I found out.:( I did not have to file until this year-He won't say how he plans to file). How does IRS handle things like this-can they find out what he did? Can I be held liable even though I had nothing to do with it? My husband married me under slightly different name and different ss# than he did ex-how will this effect things? What can I do?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon-My husband's divorce from his ex wife became final Aug.2004. We married in May2006-I just found out he and his ex have filed joint taxes 2004-2007 in order to get better returns,and my husband wanted to claim there daughter on taxes,and so did his ex. He hid this from me,and said it was none of my business when I found out.:( I did not have to file until this year-He won't say how he plans to file). How does IRS handle things like this-can they find out what he did? Can I be held liable even though I had nothing to do with it? My husband married me under slightly different name and different ss# than he did ex-how will this effect things? What can I do?
DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT agree to file a joint tax return with your husband.

Something is extremely wrong here, particularly because he is using two different social security numbers. You do not want to have any connection whatsoever to his tax return. You need to file a married filing separate return.

You cannot be held liable for his fraudulent tax returns as long as you are NOT on the return. Therefore file a married filing separately return ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">