• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending 501(c)(3) tax filing question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MBDN313

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I am in the process of sending in my 501(c)(3) forms, within the 27 month window since the incorporation of the non-profit, and its approval by the state. I have not yet filed for this year's donations, but I am wondering if I should before the forms are sent in, or if I should simply send them in after approval of the 501.

It's sort of a weird question, but we expected the 501 forms to have been fully submitted by now, so with tax day coming up, it's pressing on my mind.

tranquility

Also, how much in donations are you talking about? Did you give anything for the donations?

Last edited:

tranquility

If you would have been under $50k your filing obligations would have been so slight I would have given an opinion. With that amount, it is not unreasonable to get a tax preparer with experience with non-profits. I would file, but I haven't done more than a couple of small non-profits and that was a while ago. Things have changed. I could look things up, but even then this seems an odd situation. Why did they donate to you without your approved status? They won't be able to deduct the money until you do get it. And, if you don't, that money is gone. But since they received nothing, at worst to you it would be a gift and no tax would be due unless you have some UBI. Do you have any actual income for the corp?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">