• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Per Capita Tax" turned into Collection Agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Primatesforever

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I've recently moved back to my hometown after living out west for 2 years. I came back to find a letter on my door step from a collection agency asking for payment of the "just debt". Apparently the town I have my house in introduced a per capita tax for the school district while I was away. They didn't receive payment so they turned me into collections over it. The amount isnt high but my credit is perfect and I do not see how I can be charged a "head" tax if I wasn't living here. I can prove via my leases that I was not living here. My college documents can prove that as well.

My question is, If I cant get the school district or the collection agency to remove this all together do I have any legal footing?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I've recently moved back to my hometown after living out west for 2 years. I came back to find a letter on my door step from a collection agency asking for payment of the "just debt". Apparently the town I have my house in introduced a per capita tax for the school district while I was away. They didn't receive payment so they turned me into collections over it. The amount isnt high but my credit is perfect and I do not see how I can be charged a "head" tax if I wasn't living here. I can prove via my leases that I was not living here. My college documents can prove that as well.

My question is, If I cant get the school district or the collection agency to remove this all together do I have any legal footing?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Doesn't matter if YOU lived there. Your house (presumably) remained there the entire time.
Why didn't you have your mail forwarded?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I misunderstood the other post.

However, you were (apparently) still a legal resident of the town. Living at college doesn't change your legal residency, generally speaking.

And, why didn't you forward your mail?

Probably a resident head tax? If so the question is : were you still a legal resident of the community? Your physical location is only one aspect of this examination.

Did you have a DL in the other state?

Did you vote in the other state?

Did you have possessions in PA?

Sounds like you were actually still a resident of the community: welcome back!, here's your bill. nice.

If you believe that you were a resident of another state then you can argue .. (I would not volunteer I was going to college as most folks see this as 100% proof against you, although it is not). Its not a crime to maintain 2 dwellings. Of course, the time that passed may abate any argument.

If its a property tax, I don't think you would be posing this question.

Primatesforever

Mail was not forwarded because there should have been no mail. There was no per capita tax when I left. So when I got back. I had 2 letters from the period I was gone. One for the tax, the other from the collection agency. Those were the ONLY letters I had received here.

I did have a drivers license and ID in another state. So I have my apartment leases and out of state DL and ID to prove I was not a resident.

The per capita tax is a school district tax for residents of the town. It is not property tax.

I was no longer a resident of PA by any definition. I only had a house here which I had to pay property tax on (which I did). I had no bills here, I had no P drivers license nor state ID. I did not work in PA in 2010. I had nothing here but the house.

I was told to contact the school distrct regarding the issue. Which is messed up on its own. Why do I have to call a school district about ANY taxes? The city was of no help. The collection agency was no help.

Bottom line is, I wasn't a resident. If they want the money fine, no problem. But I want it taken off my credit report.

You're absolutely right. Welcome back to your home, here's your bill and a nice smudge on your credit report.

Mail was not forwarded because there should have been no mail. There was no per capita tax when I left. So when I got back. I had 2 letters from the period I was gone. One for the tax, the other from the collection agency. Those were the ONLY letters I had received here.

I did have a drivers license and ID in another state. So I have my apartment leases and out of state DL and ID to prove I was not a resident.

The per capita tax is a school district tax for residents of the town. It is not property tax.

I was no longer a resident of PA by any definition. I only had a house here which I had to pay property tax on (which I did). I had no bills here, I had no P drivers license nor state ID. I did not work in PA in 2010. I had nothing here but the house.

I was told to contact the school distrct regarding the issue. Which is messed up on its own. Why do I have to call a school district about ANY taxes? The city was of no help. The collection agency was no help.

Bottom line is, I wasn't a resident. If they want the money fine, no problem. But I want it taken off my credit report.

You're absolutely right. Welcome back to your home, here's your bill and a nice smudge on your credit report.
I would start with the tax collector to see how & if you can get this settled.

But alas, it may be too late. Can you pay it & then ask for a refund?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">