• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help..8 yrs behind on tax filing!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bugsyblue77

What is the name of your state?
California

My husband has owned his own business for over 15 yrs.
However, he hasn't been good at the books nor filing taxes.
Because the business hasn't filed taxes, we personally don't know what we're taking home either... we haven't filed our personal taxes either. I worked for the last 2 yrs and filed taxes for myself. At this point, I'm considering filing for seperation to protect myself. As I understand it , in order to file for a seperation, you need to enter your taxes and earnings..I feel stuck and don't know what to do. Thank you a head of time for any ideas you might have..

Snipes5

California is a community property state. A divorce won't help you with past tax debt, but filing separate returns might.

Go see at least an Enrolled Agent before you do anything, to find out what your options are.

IRS transcripts of whatever income they have on file would be a good source of reference that the EA will want to see.

DO NOT FILE ANYTHING until you talk to a tax professional. You may need an attorney for this one. It is much easier to do things correctly the first time, than to try and correct something that has already been done.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">