• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA and Income Tax Returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spiceeyes

Try again- POA for Tax Returns

Some how my questions didn't get posted.

I manage all my parents money and financial business. I have a POA for my Dad. All of his assets are in a trust of which I am the only trustee. No one has a POA for my Mom (not all lawyers are good at their job). My Mom is mentally, physically, and legally unable to sign anything (she is 100). So How do I file their federal and state income tax returns without her signature?

tranquility

I manage all my parents money and financial business. I have a POA for my Dad. All of his assets are in a trust of which I am the only trustee. No one has a POA for my Mom (not all lawyers are good at their job). My Mom is mentally, physically, and legally unable to sign anything (she is 100). So How do I file their federal and state income tax returns without her signature?
You get a conservatorship over her.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

How is that the fault of a lawyer that your mother does not have a POA?

spiceeyes

How is that the fault of a lawyer that your mother does not have a POA?
A lawyer separated all my parents assets into a trust with my father as only ownership, so as to protect what my dad has to live on and to allow my mom to get financial help with her huge medical and care bills. At this time it was requested of the court declare her incapable of managing her own affairs. Before this all happened the attorney should have suggested we have a POA for her. She was at that time was of fully capable of understanding what a POA was for, but it was clear she was going down the road of Alzheimer's. Now she hardly recognizes her own children.

tranquility

Dad's assets are in a trust but mom has nothing and that is why no conservatorship is going to be done? Interesting.

What does being in his nineties have anything to do with it? I have at least a dozen clients that are that old that have substantial income.
If there is substantial income, then people better get the right to sign for mom pretty quick, $10K or no.

spiceeyes

Right it is a joint return. If I filed separately won't I still have to file a return for Mom, she has an income of approx. $670 a month.

LdiJ

Right it is a joint return. If I filed separately won't I still have to file a return for Mom, she has an income of approx. $670 a month.
No, you would like not have to file a federal return for your mother. If she only has 1k in income other than social security she would not be required to file a federal return. However some states might still require her to file a state return. You would have to research that.

How would filing separately impact your father? If it would not impact him substantially, that might be the simplest answer to the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">