• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous year filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katstevens

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I need to file for 2005, 2006. Can I file online and if so, what is the best online service to use? If not, I'm not sure what forms to file - the only write-offs I have are the interest paid on my mortgage. Thanks in advance for your help!

FlyingRon

I presume you had income all those years. Many of the tax sites will not file for more than the previous tax year. You probably have to file on paper. If your mortgage interest is sufficiently large that it clears the standard deduction, then you file 1040 and Schedule A. If not, you can probably get by with the A or EZ versions.

You might wish to employ the help of a tax professional (and this is sort of the off season for them) to help you. You won't get a refund for 2005 and time is rapidly running off for 2006, but I assume you probably had sufficient withholding to make it that you don't actually owe anything.

Older IRS forms are here in pdf:
http://apps.qai.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">