• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Primary Residence Home Sale Capital Gain Exclusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlcl

What is the name of your state? California

If I'm planning to purchase half of my parents' house (which qualify for primary residence) at fair market value, would the home sale capital gain exclusion amount be $250,000 (since it's half the property) or be the full $500,000? Please advise. Thank you.

Snipes5

If the exclusion is allowed, it would be $500,000 for a married couple. The exclusion amount has nothing to do with the size of the property.

I'm uncertain as to whether an exclusion can be claimed when selling half a primary residence, unless the property can be legally divided, or is a duplex or something.

I would see a tax pro for this one, especially since you're in California. If you do it wrong, the FTB will go after them.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">