• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Primary residence rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RentCollector

We have a house in WA state that both me and my spouse moved out of a few months ago for employment in other states (me = PA, spouse = MD). We have been claiming the WA house as our primary residence, and hence getting lower taxes levied on a certain portion of my spouse's earnings as a contractor in another state. (I now work in a different state, as well.) If we rent this WA home out as a rental, can we still call this home as our primary residence? Are there ways to get rental income from the WA house, but at the same time be able to classify it as a primary residence so that we can continue to get a portion of my spouses' income untaxable? For example, rent in increments of 11 months, which keeps open the possibility of either of us returning to the WA house--hence maybe we could continue to call it our primary residence. Or keep our property in a shed attached to the house so that the house technically remains our residence although the main house is rented out? Any ideas leads appreciated! Thanks!!

davew128

We have a house in WA state that both me and my spouse moved out of a few months ago for employment in other states (me = PA, spouse = MD). We have been claiming the WA house as our primary residence, and hence getting lower taxes levied on a certain portion of my spouse's earnings as a contractor in another state. (I now work in a different state, as well.) If we rent this WA home out as a rental, can we still call this home as our primary residence? Are there ways to get rental income from the WA house, but at the same time be able to classify it as a primary residence so that we can continue to get a portion of my spouses' income untaxable? For example, rent in increments of 11 months, which keeps open the possibility of either of us returning to the WA house--hence maybe we could continue to call it our primary residence. Or keep our property in a shed attached to the house so that the house technically remains our residence although the main house is rented out? Any ideas leads appreciated! Thanks!!
If I dye my hair red, can I still call myself a blonde? NO! Sometimes words really have the dictionary meaning to them. If you don't live in the house AND SOMEONE ELSE DOES, I would really like to find the idiot who would believe the home is at this moment your principal residence because I have this bridge for sale over the East River.....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I dye my hair red, can I still call myself a blonde? NO! Sometimes words really have the dictionary meaning to them. If you don't live in the house AND SOMEONE ELSE DOES, I would really like to find the idiot who would believe the home is at this moment your principal residence because I have this bridge for sale over the East River.....
Please PM me the details...I might be interested! :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">