• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Professional License and Tax Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nurse2b09

Texas

Im currently a nursing student due to Graduate this June. Before I started school I went to an income tax prep store and had my taxes done later to find out whatever the preparer did really screwed up my return and left me owing money. For starters I didnt even notice that my address was wrong and did not receive a notice until I filed my return the next year. Hence the interest and penalties made the balance go to 3200. By the time I had found out I made a payment plan then only to let two weeks pass and I had lost my job and had no way to make good on my arrangement. I decided to make a change for the better and go into a field that I should never have to worry about getting and keeping a job- Nursing and try to rebuild my financial future. Here I am a few short months to graduation and have heard that I wont be able to get a license until I pay this. Is this true?? I would think that after it is issued and I begin working that if I didnt pay that they would levy or garnish my paycheck as without my license I probably will never have the means to pay this off. Is there anything that I can possibly do to get my license so that I can actually get a job to pay?????

LdiJ

Texas

Im currently a nursing student due to Graduate this June. Before I started school I went to an income tax prep store and had my taxes done later to find out whatever the preparer did really screwed up my return and left me owing money. For starters I didnt even notice that my address was wrong and did not receive a notice until I filed my return the next year. Hence the interest and penalties made the balance go to 3200. By the time I had found out I made a payment plan then only to let two weeks pass and I had lost my job and had no way to make good on my arrangement. I decided to make a change for the better and go into a field that I should never have to worry about getting and keeping a job- Nursing and try to rebuild my financial future. Here I am a few short months to graduation and have heard that I wont be able to get a license until I pay this. Is this true?? I would think that after it is issued and I begin working that if I didnt pay that they would levy or garnish my paycheck as without my license I probably will never have the means to pay this off. Is there anything that I can possibly do to get my license so that I can actually get a job to pay?????
I cannot honestly tell you for TX, but in my state you would not be denied a nursing license because you owed tax debt. Child support debt perhaps, but not tax debt. My state would be going "hip hip hooray" because they would know that you will be having income to pay the tax debt.

However, the best advice that I can give you is to take all of the paperwork regarding the orignal return and the tax debt to another tax professional to make sure that you really owe the amount you are paying on....and I would also contact the board/agency that licenses nurses in your state and discuss the situation with them.

irsos

Texas does not have an income tax on individuals so the problem is a federal one. The State of Texas will not deny a professional license for IRS problems.

davew128

Texas

Im currently a nursing student due to Graduate this June. Before I started school I went to an income tax prep store and had my taxes done later to find out whatever the preparer did really screwed up my return and left me owing money. For starters I didnt even notice that my address was wrong and did not receive a notice until I filed my return the next year.
You did look at the return before filing it, right? :rolleyes:

Nurse2b09

Replys to DID I review the return

As for looking at the return- I was young and extra dumb not to mention niave. I was clicking my heels at the check I had in hand. I threw the folder of papers in a box and didnt look twice at it. I did manage to get the return amended and yes according to the IRS I do owe it. After carefully reviewing it I found that the preparer entered stuff that I knew nothing about. I would say that she must have had too many others income info on her desk at once. During the amendment process I found that I was not the only one whos return was screwed up by this lady.

Thank you so much for the advice and now I can actually sleep knowing I should be okay- or say to the least that I can actually get a job. They can take my money and not my ability to make money. I will be on the phone with the TX BON come Monday morning :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">