• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prohibition of political activity from churches and the !st Admen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fastdiag

I am looking for research material to help settle an argument about why churches are prohibited from specific political activity.

My "friend" contends this prohibition is rooted in the 1st amendment and that is why it exists in the tax code. He says it's to keep religion out of government.

I contend that it has nothing to do with the 1st amendment, and that prohibition exists for churches for the same reason it exists for all non-profit/charitable organizations that fall under the 501 tax code. And that reason is the conflict of interest it presents when they participate in lobbying for legislation or endorsing candidates that could influence their tax exempt status or availability of federal funds/grants.

I’ve read through some of the material from the IRS, but it doesn’t give any insight of the origin of the code that was enacted some 50 years ago.

Does anybody have some links or have some insight they could share?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">