• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prop 13 and back property taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LtLaForge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, Santa Clara County

In '94 my mother inherited my grandparents house. It was supposed to be covered under prop 13. Two years ago my father and I discovered that it was not due to the fact the county said the required paperwork was not filed. They said that several notices over a period of a few years were sent to the house, but of course no one ever saw them, to top it off the deadline had lapsed and we were told we were out of luck. After several visits to the county assessors office we were finally able to have the assessed value reduced to about 1/5 of what we had been paying on for the past 17 years. A few years back my parents fell on hard times and fell behind on the property taxes and now owe about $24,000. So if a rather large chunk of the taxes are not paid by this June we loose the house. So my question is since we won the reassessment is there any way we can have it applied retroactively just to the delinquent taxes seeing since we have essentially been overpaying for so long? At this point we not really interested in a refund of the over paid taxes as much as reducing what is owed so my parents can keep their house. My mom is disabled and my father is on his last legs at 59 and still working. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">