• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property tax on condo conversion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missicky

I bought a condo Minnesota in Dec. 2005. Fewer than half the units were sold in 2005 so the building was still classified as an apartment for 2006 (because property taxes are based on the previous year's building value and status). The building owner was billed for the property taxes for 2006 and split the bill 11 ways (the number of units in the building) and billed the owners of the units (some are 1 bedroom some and 2 bedroom and some have been completely remodeled and have much higher values than others). She billed me over $1, 000 for taxes. My unit was homesteaded for all of 2006. I received my tax estimate for next years' property tax and that amount is about $600. Does she have any legal right to bill me over $1,000 and do I have any legal obligation to pay her more than what my taxes will be next year? I've contacted the county and the dept. of revenue and no one can answer this question.
Thank you!

LdiJ

I bought a condo Minnesota in Dec. 2005. Fewer than half the units were sold in 2005 so the building was still classified as an apartment for 2006 (because property taxes are based on the previous year's building value and status). The building owner was billed for the property taxes for 2006 and split the bill 11 ways (the number of units in the building) and billed the owners of the units (some are 1 bedroom some and 2 bedroom and some have been completely remodeled and have much higher values than others). She billed me over $1, 000 for taxes. My unit was homesteaded for all of 2006. I received my tax estimate for next years' property tax and that amount is about $600. Does she have any legal right to bill me over $1,000 and do I have any legal obligation to pay her more than what my taxes will be next year? I've contacted the county and the dept. of revenue and no one can answer this question.
Thank you!
This is not a tax law question. However, the answer is that it depends entirely on your contract with her. Read the fine print.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">