• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property tax in los angeles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pfister75

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Hi all, I own a home in los angeles. The name on the deed had both my brother and myself on it. The total taxes on the property were 1600 a year. For whatever reason, my brother wanted his name taken off of the deed. When this happened, the total tax doubled to 3200 a year. Why should I have to pay twice the taxes because a name was taken off the deed? I'm still the same owner, yet the property has been reappraised. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pfister75 said:
What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Hi all, I own a home in los angeles. The name on the deed had both my brother and myself on it. The total taxes on the property were 1600 a year. For whatever reason, my brother wanted his name taken off of the deed. When this happened, the total tax doubled to 3200 a year. Why should I have to pay twice the taxes because a name was taken off the deed? I'm still the same owner, yet the property has been reappraised. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

My response:

Your property ownership transfer was not one of the types protected under Proposition 13 [Ca Const. Art. XIIIA, § 2(a); Ca Rev & Tax §§ 62(a)(2), 64(d)] As a result, you lost your Proposition 13 property tax protections. You should have consulted a tax advisor before you transferred ownership.

Do you remember Howard Jarvis?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

seniorjudge said:
First baseman, St. Louis Browns 1922-1929

My response:

True. But that's not the Howard Jarvis I was talking about. The late Howard Jarvis promoted, and had passed, the Proposition 13 Property Tax initiative in California. Coincidentally, that Proposition, when passed, was made a part of the California Constitution as "Section XIII".

You'll see Howard Jarvis in a cameo role as an old man (he was old) getting out of the taxi in the comedy movie, "Airplane!"

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">