• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Tax Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithhopelove

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Maine, and my divorce was final September 1, 2009. In 2008, I paid the property taxes on my residence. I filed state and federal taxes as head of household for 2008. I recently applied for the Maine Property Tax refund, for 2008, which I qualifed for as Head of Household in 2008, but only received half of it because my ex's name is on the tax bill for 2008.

I called the Maine property tax people, who told me to send a letter to my ex stating that he would not be filing for the property tax refund, have him sign it, and return it to them. I sent it to my ex, but he wrote me back a note refusing to sign the letter unless I turn over some personal property of mine, family photos and films.

I copied the letter I had sent to my ex and the note he returned to me refusing to sign and sent it into the Maine tax people as an appeal, which is the next step in the process.

Is my ex's actions illegal? It sure seems like blackmail to me. (He wouldn't qualify for the property tax refund anyway because he is high income.)

Thank you for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">