• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchase house from father or transfer refi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lamma80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm relocating to Southern California from Northern California. I currently own the home I live in and we plan on keeping it as a second home. My father is retiring and moving out of his house to a smaller home. We are planning on purchasing his house for our relocation.

The purchase will be below market value, basically covering the remainder of what is left of the loan on the house. What tax implications does this have down the road vs having him quitclaim it me and just refinancing? Are these similar situations in regards to taxes owed? If we get an appraisal now, is this the value that is considered for taxes owed?

Purchase price would be around $300,000----fair market value is around $500,000.

Last edited:

ShyCat

The difference between FMV and your purchase price is a gift. Your father would have to file a gift tax return.

You will also have established a lower cost basis for when you eventually sell the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">