• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KayBBxo

Could anyone help me with this homework assignment I have? I have no legal background and this is my first class ever in "American Law" since I thought it would be a good elective.... but I don't even know where to start!!! I'm a bio major, this is definitely not for me :(

"The State of Michigan is located on a major east-west transportation corridor and has a huge amount of commercial rail and truck traffic pass through it. Like every other state, Michinois taxes commercial trucks hauling goods on the basis of the size of the truck and the weight of the load. However, two months ago Michinois increased the amount of the tax to 5 times the rate it was before. This put Michinois' commercial truck tax rate at 4 times the next highest rate set by any state.

TallTruck Hauling, Inc., sued in federal court bringing a declaratory judgement action to have the tax increase set aside on the ground that it constitutes an unconstitutional burden on interstate trucking. Consider the issue. Also, identify what additional information you would want to investigate that might have an effect on the outcome of the case."

Antigone*

Could anyone help me with this homework assignment I have? I have no legal background and this is my first class ever in "American Law" since I thought it would be a good elective.... but I don't even know where to start!!! I'm a bio major, this is definitely not for me :(

"The State of Michigan is located on a major east-west transportation corridor and has a huge amount of commercial rail and truck traffic pass through it. Like every other state, Michinois taxes commercial trucks hauling goods on the basis of the size of the truck and the weight of the load. However, two months ago Michinois increased the amount of the tax to 5 times the rate it was before. This put Michinois' commercial truck tax rate at 4 times the next highest rate set by any state.

TallTruck Hauling, Inc., sued in federal court bringing a declaratory judgement action to have the tax increase set aside on the ground that it constitutes an unconstitutional burden on interstate trucking. Consider the issue. Also, identify what additional information you would want to investigate that might have an effect on the outcome of the case."
Sorry but we don't do homework

ecmst12

I bet, that rather then google, your teacher has provided a textbook, lectures, and a host of resources to you so that you can research your homework assignment. I do NOT believe you were given that question and no other information about how to find the answer.

LdiJ

I bet, that rather then google, your teacher has provided a textbook, lectures, and a host of resources to you so that you can research your homework assignment. I do NOT believe you were given that question and no other information about how to find the answer.
Well, in the interest of fairness, I was never given anything more than access to Lexis-Nexis and the instructions that google was my friend when I had to do any research for any of my tax or business law classes when I was working on my master's.

The net has seriously changed the way that research is done.

davew128

Well, in the interest of fairness, I was never given anything more than access to Lexis-Nexis and the instructions that google was my friend when I had to do any research for any of my tax or business law classes when I was working on my master's.

The net has seriously changed the way that research is done.
While this is true, I seem to recall being told to use tax research services in grad school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">