• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about W9

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amkerom61

What is the name of your state?California

My new employer uses W9, I wonder how it works, also they were saying that I can save all my expenses receit as a tax deductable,
I don't own a house, can I still use my expenses as a tax deductable?

Snipes5

All employers are supposed to have you fill out a W-9. It provides proof of your right to work in the US, whether by citizenship, permanent residency, or by visa.

We can't really tell you whether or not your expenses are deductible, since we have no idea what sort of job you are doing, and what you are having to pay for.

Personal living expenses are not deductible as an employment expense, however.

Snipes

anteater

I think Snipes misread. The form Snipes is referring to is the I-9, the form for verifying employment eligibility.

amkerom -- You do realize that if the company is having you complete a W-9 that you are not an employee and the company is not your employer, don't you? They are treating you as an independent contractor providing them services.

That means that they are not going to be withholding income taxes. You will be on your own to pay estimated taxes quarterly. You will be paying your own self-employment taxes - Social Security and Medicare. You will be completing Schedules C and SE come tax filing time.

Go here for info on the Independent Contractor vs. Employee topic:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

amkerom61

I am a US Citizen, and for 20 years in United States I never seen this W-9 form, usually W-2 it's just a regular tax form.

I started on my new job a week ago, my employer told me that they going to pay me straight as a contract worker that means no tax deduction, that's why they give me this W-9 Form, they told me because they hired me as a contract worker living expenses is tax deductable, including gas, office expenses, internet, anything related to my work, is tax deductable, all the employee are telling me the same thing and they said that they been doing this for years, but I don't know how this thing works, I don't know if I have to own a house to do this,

Snipes5

Anteater is right, I misread. Sorry.

As for the OP, if you are truly an employee, and they are trying to treat you like an independent contractor, I would leave the job and find another. The potential complications aren't worth the trouble.

Essentially, you will be required to pay both your portion and the employer's portion of SS and medicare taxes, and if the people who work there are truly "employees", then the employer is committing tax fraud.

Snipes

abezon

You should also swing by a tax pro for an off-season consult on what kinds of expenses will be deductible & what records to save.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">