• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Regarding Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angela516

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I currently work for an online company doing work. I am not a employee for the company. I know that as an Independent Contractor, I am reliable for paying taxes and reporting my income.

I am planning on hiring a freelancer that doesn't reside in the United States to help me with some of the work (from the online company I work for).

The money I pay to the freelancer for the work, could I claim that as a business expense? If so, what kind of documents would I need?

Would I have the person file out a w8 form? Also would I have to withhold a certain amount of money from them?

I contacted the IRS and they were no help at all. The person I spoke with talked in codes. No help there....at least from the person I spoke with.

Any advice or help would be very appreciated. Thanks in Advance. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">