• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question of the Year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

Got on email asking me this: "How much will the $8,000 refundable first time home buyer credit reduce my taxes?"

Answer: $8,000

FlyingRon

Its a refundable credit.....
Which to be clear means you can get that money even if you don't have that much tax liability.

The things that COULD limit it would be high AGI in the filer or the fact that the property price is less than $80,000.

tranquility

How much will the $8,000 refundable first time home buyer credit reduce my taxes?
Taxes cannot be *reduced* more than what they are. So, if you owe $4,000, the $8,000 refundable credit will *reduce* your taxes $4,000. Then, you get the rest of the credit in a check.

Word games davew128.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Some people take themselves WAY too seriously.
Aw come on dave...people ought to understand (or be taught) the difference on something that basic.;)

Otherwise, they might just zero out their tax and not give themselves the refundable portion of the credit...which I have SEEN happen...LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">