+ Reply to Thread
    zasu is offline Junior Member

Question questions about homestead/home heating credit

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hi, I moved last August from one county to another in my home state of Michigan.
    At my former residence, the heat was included in my subsidized apartment, so when I filed for the home heating credit, I was required to take half off of the amount and even though I pay for the heat in my new residence, a mobile home, the bill is in my landlord's name and so I am required to do the same here.
    My first question is, I know I have to prorate my months for the Home Heating Credit and
    I can get back more if I use my former address for this.
    Am I allowed to use two different addresses?
    I was not eligible for the Homestead for renters at my last residence, but I am at this one.
    So, I want to use the five months August through December.
    Stupid question: Do I have to prorate the Homestead, too?
    There is no lot rent where I live, so do I need to deduct the $3.00 a month as is stated on the Homestead form for rental of a mobile home?

Thank you and I hope I explained this clearly enough.
    zasuWhat is the name of your state?
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    The state homestead forms allow for multiple addresses. They will ask for the dates and locations. So, yes, they are pro-rated by each address.

It will be problematic that the bill is NOT in your name. You will need to be able to PROVE that YOU pay the bill, and WHY it is in the LL name.

Do NOT lie on the forms because that is one that they can cross reference very easily. I've seen lots of audits on them - and have it all credits thrown out.
    zasu is offline Junior Member

Homestead and Home Heating Credit

Quote Originally Posted by Ginny J View Post
    The state homestead forms allow for multiple addresses. They will ask for the dates and locations. So, yes, they are pro-rated by each address.

It will be problematic that the bill is NOT in your name. You will need to be able to PROVE that YOU pay the bill, and WHY it is in the LL name.

Do NOT lie on the forms because that is one that they can cross reference very easily. I've seen lots of audits on them - and have it all credits thrown out.
    Thank you for your reply, Ginny. I don't lie on my tax forms and for the Home Heating Credit, when the bill is in someone else's name, regardless who pays for it, a renter can still file on it and get half of the amount back.

The last apartment I lived in, the heat was provided by the landlord. In my home now, the heat and electric utilities are in the landlord's name and the renters receive a bill from them and pay it to them. This is a large park and I feel this is their way of avoiding
    any problems with unpaid utilities.

I can get more back on the Home Heating Credit by using the last address information, even prorated, because it is for seven months. I was curious if I could use the two separate addresses. Or if the state would require that I use my current address for both forms.

zasu
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    All the forms are currently prior year forms, but should help in your questions about home-heating. The homestead credit can handle multiple addresses.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/MI-1040CR-7_181155_7.pdf
    Dates 11/1/2006 thru 10/31/2007
    Instructions:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/BOOK_MI-1040CR-7_181283_7.pdf

There is a phone number in the instructions you may want to look at. There doesn't appear to be any provisions for moving on the heat credit.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/MI-1040CR-Instruct_181284_7.pdf
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/MI-1040CR_181149_7.pdf
    The renter's section allows for multiple addresses