• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Invesment - Passive or Active?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlcl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

As we have schedule C income and rental real estate losses, if my husband and I are filing a joint return, for the 750 hours material participation rule, is it based on total hours my husband AND I spent in the real estate activites, or is it based on hours one person spent.

We want to see if we can qualify the losses as non-passive losses.

FlyingRon

You can add the times together (and federally, it's only 500 hours).

However, you need to determine if the activities you are considering can be legitimately considered a single activity. If it's multiple activities, those can not be added together to make the limit as rentals are excluded specifically. Whether or not they can be grouped together into a single activity depends on the nature of the activities (and you've not provided enough information to tell).

I'd recommend taking all the details to a tax advisor before making the leap that you can use non-passive treatment for this. Rentals are HIGHLY scrutinized in the passive/non-passive examination.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">