• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real estate Tax Exemption for property donated to Synagogue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moshiachby

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ca

My Synagogue organization - A Pennsylvania non profit Synagogue organization - has just received a donation of a property in LA county. It is a residential property which we plan to sell immediately

I would like to apply for exemptions of the property taxes until it sells and the transfer taxes on the sale if these are available under law.

This is the answer the LA county assessor sent me

"> In order to receive a church/religious/welfare exemption, the
> property must be used for a religious or charitable purposes.
> Therefore, vacant properties or properties being held solely
> for resale can not be exempted."

END QUOTE

My understanding is that a property which is donated to an organization such as ours and is immediately put on the market for sale in order to convert it to funds for the organization is considered exempt since part of the religious and charitable purpose of the organization is accepting donations and converting them to cash - any taxation on it would be infringing upon the charity of the donor and donee.

I believe that is the federal law too.

I am surprised that California Law is different and believe it may be unconstitutional.

We would like to make sure that we receive all the exemptions we are entitled to.

Also we would like to know if we are exempt from transfer tax when we sell the property.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

JETX

"I believe that is the federal law too."
*** Federal law would only apply to federal taxes.

"I am surprised that California Law is different and believe it may be unconstitutional."
*** It's not.

"We would like to make sure that we receive all the exemptions we are entitled to."
*** Then follow the process as provided by the California Board of Equalization.

"Also we would like to know if we are exempt from transfer tax when we sell the property."
*** Not if not allowed by California laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">