• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate taxes and homestead exemption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baker10

We refinanced our property this year and now will be paying our real estate taxes directly whereas the previous lender included them in our house payment. Upon reviewing the bill, I saw mention of applying for a homestead exemption. I have had a full disability that has prevented me from gainful employment for almost 8 years. Because of my not working, we also meet the income guidelines for the exemption and have for all 8 years. I never knew of this exemption until now. I called to apply for the exemption and will be receiving the papers in the mail for my doctor to fill out. Our taxes are very high, we are in Ohio. If I am approved and my doctor states that my disability began in 1997, would they have to credit any exemption back that we were eligible to receive previous to this year or is fact that I didn't know about it just my tough luck and we can only benefit this year. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">