• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Really screwed things up - Please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PilgrimFarAway

US Citizen living abroad for the past 3 years. In 2004, did something stupid and don't know how to fix it:

This is associated with the receipt and sell of stock on behalf of another party. I received the shares, sold them and transferred all funds to the party on whose behalf I received the stock. The purpose of the transaction was payment to the party on whose behalf I received the stock for services that they rendered to a third party. I received the shares and sold them on behalf of the service-provider in order to expedite the process of receiving payment.

What we have is this:
1. Company A signs a contract with Company B to render software development services
2. Company B is to pay for the services in advance
3. Company B is to pay for the services in the form of free trading shares in their company
4. Company A does not have a trading account and we needed to get this done very quickly. I have a trading account, so I sign a contract with Company A to sell the stock on their behalf and transfer the proceeds to the company upon completion of the sale
5. I receive the stock in Company B into my trading account
6. I sell the stock
7. Proceeds are wired to Company A
8. I receive a 1099 from Scottrade for the sell amount of the stock.
9. I don't want to pay tax on this money, because it wasn't my gain. It was the gain of Company A. I actually took a slight loss on the transaction, as I neglected to invoice Company A for the commission to Scottrade and the wire transfer fees.

LdiJ

PilgrimFarAway said:
US Citizen living abroad for the past 3 years. In 2004, did something stupid and don't know how to fix it:

This is associated with the receipt and sell of stock on behalf of another party. I received the shares, sold them and transferred all funds to the party on whose behalf I received the stock. The purpose of the transaction was payment to the party on whose behalf I received the stock for services that they rendered to a third party. I received the shares and sold them on behalf of the service-provider in order to expedite the process of receiving payment.

What we have is this:
1. Company A signs a contract with Company B to render software development services
2. Company B is to pay for the services in advance
3. Company B is to pay for the services in the form of free trading shares in their company
4. Company A does not have a trading account and we needed to get this done very quickly. I have a trading account, so I sign a contract with Company A to sell the stock on their behalf and transfer the proceeds to the company upon completion of the sale
5. I receive the stock in Company B into my trading account
6. I sell the stock
7. Proceeds are wired to Company A
8. I receive a 1099 from Scottrade for the sell amount of the stock.
9. I don't want to pay tax on this money, because it wasn't my gain. It was the gain of Company A. I actually took a slight loss on the transaction, as I neglected to invoice Company A for the commission to Scottrade and the wire transfer fees.
How are you set up as a taxable entity? Did you do this as a company or as in individual? The treatment as far as your tax return is concerned will vary depending on whether you handled this as a company or as an individual.

The contract that you signed with Company A will help you eliminate taxable income on this transaction...but you are probably going to need the help of a professional to do it properly.

PilgrimFarAway

Did this as an individual

Thank you for the follow up. I did this as an individual. My CPA tells me that I can simply list my basis for the transaction as the sale price, resulting in no gain. This feels fishy to me, however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">