• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receipts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gigallan

Hi folks. This is a relatively easy one, but not listed in the FAQ section:

I recently moved, and needed to get rid of lots of my books.
I donated the books to my local library, which is a part of 'Friends of the Library': http://sunnyvale.ca.gov/Departments/Library/friends.htm#Donations

Unfortunately, I did not keep a good accounting of the # of books I donated, and did not request a receipt.

Without a receipt, am I still entitled to take a deduction?
If I do, I will do my best to under-estimate the total value, but I will have no way to prove it.

Thanks.

P.S. In case the above URL was too subtle, I live in California.

Last edited:

abezon

You can deduct any amount you think is fair for the books. However, if you donate more than $250 worth at one time, you must get a receipt. Multiple $240 donations do not require receipts; a log of how many books you donated, the date, & the fair market value will suffice.

Also, there is a difference between what you can claim without committing tax fraud & what you can substantiate if you fall into the 0.75% of taxpayers who get audited. Fraud means you pay tax + fines + penalties. Poor record-keeping means you pay tax. Big deal. You'd have paid the tax anyway if you hadn't claimed the donations, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">