• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recently Deceased Ex-Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gunny

massachusetts: my ex-spouse passed away last month. am i authorized to claim my two children on my 2001 tax return? she previously claimed them per our divorce agreement.

G

Gunny

Technically, I have full custody. However, because my ex-spouse just passed away last month, I'm allowing them to remain in Massachusetts with there Aunt until they've overcome there grief.

crager34

After further thought, I will not answer this. Hopefully loku or another will get this one. However, my thoughts are you should get the credit.

G

Gunny

I understand crager34, but Thank You anyway. Actually, sources suggest that when my ex-spouses taxes are filed, she is still entitled to claim the children.... and the return, if any, will be added to the estate which will be left to my children. If you should learn anything contrary to this, please let me know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">