• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieved a 1099

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

I received a 1099 for work done at a job and I have to file it, the people at JH are telling me that it looks like I'm going to owe money and they don't understand why I got 1099 if I was a full time employee.
My old boss had us on the books at minimum wage and then gave us the rest in cash, I was a secretary working from 9-6 monday through friday for about 2 years. Was he allowed to 1099 me? If not what can i do about it?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Employer did that to get out of paying the employer portion of taxes. Bad, bad employer.

Ask the tax preparer to file a 8919 (Ldij, help here). It's a new form that says that the employer should have classified you as an employee. This will make you responsible for YOUR portion of the taxes. Chances are you will still owe - just not the employer's portion.)

LdiJ

Employer did that to get out of paying the employer portion of taxes. Bad, bad employer.

Ask the tax preparer to file a 8919 (Ldij, help here). It's a new form that says that the employer should have classified you as an employee. This will make you responsible for YOUR portion of the taxes. Chances are you will still owe - just not the employer's portion.)
You are right on the nose Ginny. The OP should also submit form SS-8.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">