• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reducing My Tax Liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamesD8

I'm in Florida. The property in question is in Georgia.
I assisted a developer in marketing his property and ultimately found a buyer.
I am not a licensed Realtor, so we are calling the payment I will receive a Marketing Fee. I'll be earning close to $200K for my efforts.
My question is how do I reduce my tax liability on this? Is this money simply income and taxed at my applicable rate?
What if I were to place myself in the deal with an option to purchase? Would the money then be treated as a capital gains and taxed at 15%?
Thank you.

FlyingRon

It's income. Your best bet is to make sure that all the expenses that you could take against this are done so.

Even if it was structured as a sale with you in the middle and a resale, it wouldn't get the 15% long term capital gain treatment.

JamesD8

Flying Ron, thank you for the reply. You're right, of course. I completely overlooked the time frame required for a capital gains approach. Wishful thinking got the better of me. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">