+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refund Adjusted

eddie240 is offline Junior Member

Refund Adjusted

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    NY State, Albany

I did my taxes for 2008 using turbo tax last month. Federal refund was received in 10 days and today I received my State refund which is less than what Turbo tax had calculated. I went on the NY State taxation website and it says that my refund had been adjusted. Did Turbo tax make a mistake in calculating my taxes?

Thanks

Ed
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Rather: Do you owe any money that is subject to state withholding? You may want to contact the state and find out.
    eddie240 is offline Junior Member
    I don't think I owe any money I mean would have showed up on Turbo Tax, when I entered all my W2 info. I did try calling the state but the hold time was like 30 minutes. I am waiting for the letter to come to see why was it adjusted.

Ed
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie240 View Post
    I don't think I owe any money I mean would have showed up on Turbo Tax, when I entered all my W2 info.
    No, it wouldn't. Turbo Tax has no clue as to whether you owe the state money
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtClerk View Post
    No, it wouldn't. Turbo Tax has no clue as to whether you owe the state money
    Actually, the Turbo Tax software SHOULD know whether or not he owes the state any money for 2008 taxes, but wouldn't know if he owed any back taxes.

OP, Turbo Tax is a question and answer format, and sometimes a user can misunderstand a question and answer it wrong, therefore causing an error. Its unlikely that the software itself made an error. Its not impossible for software to be programmed incorrectly, but when that happens its normally caught VERY quickly.