• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund Offsets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

locarl

Hi I have Social Security Disability overpayment. I have a payment agreement that Social Security is taking out a monthly amount to recover the money and have not defaulted on this agreement. The money comes out of my disability check. I am concerned about my tax refund. My spouse works. Can they take our refund even though I am still on disability and am honoring the payment agreement? Can my spouse file injured spouse to get the refund back since my spouse isnt liable for the debt? I called the treasury offset hotline number and as of now there is nothing listed as a debt. Is this correct place to call for checking if an intercept will happen for a disability overpayment? Would Social security send me a letter in advance if they intended to intercept my refund?

LdiJ

Hi I have Social Security Disability overpayment. I have a payment agreement that Social Security is taking out a monthly amount to recover the money and have not defaulted on this agreement. The money comes out of my disability check. I am concerned about my tax refund. My spouse works. Can they take our refund even though I am still on disability and am honoring the payment agreement? Can my spouse file injured spouse to get the refund back since my spouse isnt liable for the debt? I called the treasury offset hotline number and as of now there is nothing listed as a debt. Is this correct place to call for checking if an intercept will happen for a disability overpayment? Would Social security send me a letter in advance if they intended to intercept my refund?
If the Treasury offset number doesn't show you having a current offset, then you don't. However, it wouldn't hurt to file the injured spouse form.

Touché

Heres one I actually know,

The IRS tax offset phone number is 1-800-304-3107, it will tell you as of the day you call if there is an offset associated with your social security number.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">