• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refuting a State Tax Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GChallender

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I was living in Utah until May of 2015. Last year my total income was just under 14,000 dollars. I claimed 1 for myself with no other dependents. Federal taxes returned around $150 dollars to me, but Utah is claiming that I owe 545 dollars. With how low my income was, I do not think that is correct at all, and I moved to Colorado to get away from Utah for political reasons. I want to refute this lien as Utah has already stolen way to much money from me and my income was well below the poverty line and I should not be owing money for only claiming myself as an exemption. What can I do to refute this claim? That is a lot of money to be stolen from me for no good reason other then Utah's messed up tax codes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I was living in Utah until May of 2015. Last year my total income was just under 14,000 dollars. I claimed 1 for myself with no other dependents. Federal taxes returned around $150 dollars to me, but Utah is claiming that I owe 545 dollars. With how low my income was, I do not think that is correct at all, and I moved to Colorado to get away from Utah for political reasons. I want to refute this lien as Utah has already stolen way to much money from me and my income was well below the poverty line and I should not be owing money for only claiming myself as an exemption. What can I do to refute this claim? That is a lot of money to be stolen from me for no good reason other then Utah's messed up tax codes.
What reason do they give for you owing money?

LdiJ

Ok, I just ran the numbers myself for a single person with 14k of income and I think that something might be wrong. I would strongly recommend that you see a local tax professional who can run the numbers. You should not owe that much tax at all.

What I showed (ignoring any withholding) is that your initial tax would be $700.00 but that when the taxpayer credit calculation was done you would have a credit of $545.00, leaving a tax balance of $155.00. If you had any withholding then the balance due would be even lower or you might even have a refund due.

Now, if the source of your 14k in income was not wages, then that could change the calculation of the taxpayer credit. Again, see a local tax pro.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Did you live part year in Utah and Colorado for the year in question? If so, I would highly highly highly recommend that you visit a tax professional to file a PART YEAR state return.

davew128

I think the OP has bigger issues than just a tax bill.

TinkerBelleLuvr, fairly clear the OP lived in Utah since he/she just moved to Colorado THIS year. Whether he or she is originally from the State of Confusion remains to be seen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">