• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Related Party or Unrelated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roud

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

According to the IRS, a related party is a "member of the family, including only brothers, sisters, half-brothers, half-sisters, spouse, ancestors (parents, grandparents, etc.), and lineal descendants (children, grandchildren, etc.)"

I have a blood brother who was adopted, when he was young, by my uncle (and his wife); what is he considered by the IRS? A related party or an unrelated one?

Thanks,
RD

Last edited:

davew128

I honestly don't know the answer to this, as the regulations don't further define this. Technically, you could argue in good faith that legally he ISN'T your brother and the related party rules don't apply. Certainly if he had been adopted AS your brother it definitely would so reasonably the inverse applies as well.

adjusterjack

I have a blood brother who was adopted, when he was young, by my uncle (and his wife); what is considered by the IRS? A related party or an unrelated one?
From whose point of view? Yours? Or your uncle and his wife?

In other words, do you want to claim him as a dependent or do they want to claim him as a dependent?

How old is he?

Depending on why you want to know, there may be other factors to consider.

Details count.

roud

From whose point of view? Yours? Or your uncle and his wife?
From the IRS' point of view. The details: I have a property for sale that he's interested in buying. He's planning on buying my property through a 1031 exchange. According to the IRS, a 1031 exchange is illegal if the buyer and the seller and related. He is 35 years old and was adopted when he was 14.

Thanks,
RD

adjusterjack

From the IRS' point of view. The details: I have a property for sale that he's interested in buying. He's planning on buying my property through a 1031 exchange. According to the IRS, a 1031 exchange is illegal if the buyer and the seller and related. He is 35 years old and was adopted when he was 14.
You're related.

Beyond that, both of you would be wise to consult a tax pro. 1031 exchanges are complicated and the slightest mistake could result in a big tax bill.

Stephen1

"According to the IRS, a 1031 exchange is illegal if the buyer and the seller and related."

Not illegal but there are special rules that apply. Would you believe that some people try to cheat the IRS?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

According to the IRS, a related party is a "member of the family, including only brothers, sisters, half-brothers, half-sisters, spouse, ancestors (parents, grandparents, etc.), and lineal descendants (children, grandchildren, etc.)"

I have a blood brother who was adopted, when he was young, by my uncle (and his wife); what is he considered by the IRS? A related party or an unrelated one?

Thanks,
RD
Legally you are not brothers, you are cousins.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">