• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MusicalSunrise

State of Colorado

I have a two year relocation agreement and recently quit at about 15 months. My repayment is pretty large (think xx,xxx). I have figured out I can claim what was in my W-2 as a deduction but what I am wondering is can I record the repayment as a loss? I also trade stocks and need losses to offset my gains. How can use that repayment to do that? I read on a website that I may be able to write some of that repayment off as a loss. Was that bogus info or is there a way I can do that?

tranquility

If the payment was listed on your W-2 and you did not deduct any of your moving expenses against it, because the amount is so great, you can take the repayment off on schedule A line 28 (no reduction of 2%). Or, you can recalculate the year's return where you reported the income without the payment, see the difference in taxes and take a credit on line 71 of the 1040 writing "IRC 1341" in the left margin.

MusicalSunrise

Thank you

Thank you so much! You made it so easy. I was freaking out over how I would eventually deal with it. I could not find anything this straight forward on the IRS's website or anywhere else for that matter. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">