• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Remunerative donation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redstick

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Does a remunerative donation attract either state or federal gift taxes?

Snipes5

Give us a few more details, such as a dollar amount.

Remuneration is pay. Donation is a gift.

Snipes

Snipes5

Guess what? We can't help you unless you use more words.

What exactly was $30,000? Did you give someone a gift? Did someone give you a gift? Did someone give you a gift and say it was for services you performed?

Snipes

redstick

An individual has made a verbal claim to monies due them from an estate as being a "remunerative donation". No documentation has been provided to substantiate this. If such a claim were to be accepted is the estate liable for any "gift taxes?" Thus, the question being asked: Is a "remunerative donation" treated by the state and federal tax authorities as remuneration, presumedly incurring income taxes for the donee, or is the money treated by these tax entities as a gift to the donee thereby incurring gift tax liability to the estate? The assumption is that the monies are remuneratively donated in a single-tax year, the year the monies are actually paid out, i.e., when they are paid, and thus the amount would exceed the limit on an annual donation to an individual.

Snipes5

The only references I can find to Remunerative donations are when places pay a donor to give blood or plasma.

I think this "individual" is full of crap, and trying to evade taxes in some way, with some strange twist of semantics. I suggest you contact a good Enrolled Agent or Tax Attorney to fend off the moron, and protect the estate. It will probably be well worth the money.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">