• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental income on airplane hanger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wildduk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

We own and rent out a airplane hanger. I do not think that it is considered real estate, because it is on leased land from the airport. How would we document the income?

Thx

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

We own and rent out a airplane hanger. I do not think that it is considered real estate, because it is on leased land from the airport. How would we document the income?

Thx
Please describe how your business works. Do you rent it to some small number of "clients" or are there multiple short-term rentals?

Wildduk

It is real estate. Report it on Schedule E.
Ok fair enough. The little but I've read said that this in considered an asset, not real state because you don't own the land, but I'll take your word for it.

So I own a rental and I know what I can deduct/depreciate, ect.

With this however I'm not sure. Land lease? Property tax? Insurance? Bookkeeping fees paid to the HOA?

We rent it out to a company that uses aircraft for their business.

Thx

tranquility

We rent it out to a company that uses aircraft for their business.
If it is not short term rentals where you provide substantial services, you would do as FlyingRon wrote, Schedule E.

So I own a rental and I know what I can deduct/depreciate, ect.

With this however I'm not sure. Land lease? Property tax? Insurance? Bookkeeping fees paid to the HOA?
You are in what can be called a sandwich lease arraignment. You have possession of the property that is being rented, but not ownership. Everything the lease covers you cannot depreciate. That is for the owner of the property. Any fixtures or other capital purchases you make for the rental property can be depreciated. The amount of the lease can be expensed as can most other costs of earning a profit. Rental activity income is, by statute, passive income absent factors that may or may not apply to you.

I'd see a tax professional this year to get a sense of your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">