• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repair or Capital Improvement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NoJustice

California
If a residential water well goes dry and the landlord has the well deepened to provide water for the tenant, is this considered a repair or a capital improvement when completing the Sch. E for Federal Taxes?

Thanks for your help.

L

loku

I would say the deepening a well that goes dry is a capital improvement.

The following definition of “improvements” comes from IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax:

Add the cost of improvements to your basis in the property if they increase the value of the property, lengthen its life, or adapt it to a different use. For example, improvements include putting a recreation room in your unfinished basement, adding another bathroom or bedroom, putting up a fence, putting in new plumbing or wiring, installing a new roof, or paving your driveway.

J

J. Ducaine

i would treat it as repair since the depreciation on a well is going to be treated as an improvement, subject to 27.5 years under macrs. if the amount is immaterial relative to the income of the property, write if off now!

N

NoJustice

I feel this is a repair even though the cost of the repair is equal to 10 mos. of rent. If the well had not been deepened the tenant would have moved.

I've been reviewing the info in Publication 17 and it looks like this is one of those gray areas.

Thanks for your responses.

Nomads4fun

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">