• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reported too much sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chipka

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I recently switched to a new inventory management program and am not entirely familiar with all the reports it is capable of. Because of this, I used an incorrect report while getting my information together for my accountant to do my business taxes this and last year. I gave him a total sales figure that was considerably too high. Now I don't know what to do. I am afraid that if I file an amended tax report, it will raise a flag to the IRS and prompt them to dig deeper into my business. I don't have anything to hide other than that I am not very organized. I just don't want to go through that horror if I can avoid it. What should I do? I'm tempted to act like it never happened and "show a loss" next year.

Snipes5

File an amended return, just make sure it's accurate. Be sure you have documentation for your income and deductions. Don't overstate or understate either, and you will be fine.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">