• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

revised w-2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canarykay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NE

I had to pay back money from a bonus i received in 2007. I had paid the taxes on the bonus when I received it but I had to pay it back in full. I was wondering if its possible to get a revised W-2 to refile so I can recoup the money I paid out in taxes or do I have to wait till W-2's come out in January.

Irishcapital

Thank you for your question. If I am understanding you correctly, you received a W-2 that was ultimately incorrect. Thus, you have now overpaid your tax.

In all likelihood ,you dont need to wait for a new w-2. You can file and amended return and some other supporting documentation if you are, in fact, owed a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NE

I had to pay back money from a bonus i received in 2007. I had paid the taxes on the bonus when I received it but I had to pay it back in full. I was wondering if its possible to get a revised W-2 to refile so I can recoup the money I paid out in taxes or do I have to wait till W-2's come out in January.
I would recommend that you ask the employer how they plan to handle it. Odds are, if you paid it back in 2008, that they will count it as a reduction of your 2008 pay, rather than 2007. That's not necessarily the proper way for them to handle it, but its more likely to be the way that they will do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">