• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rhode Island Federal/State Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lalori44

What is the name of your state?RI
I have been examining my pay stubs/ and sometimes they exclude me from federal taxes/ and sometimes/from state/ now I make 11.00/hr. work 40 hours a week/ and I claimed 2 married/myself and my son/ why am I not getting federal/state taxes out/last 6 paychecks they have not been taking out federal taxes on my check/ and sometimes no state...help!

lalori44

already did that and this is the answer I got...because of what I claim/ 2 on my paycheck/at married witholdings/ that was there answer/it doesn't seem right to me..something just isn't right when I worked for other companies. and jobs/ I always had fed/taxes taken out...

justalayman

I realize you stated you work 40 hours/week but if there are weeks you do not there may be times where your earnings are low enough to not require withholding of these taxes.

Anyway tax season has now come to us and all will be reconciled up when you file your taxes. If there is a large refund from either state or fed or large payment to either, there is a problem with your withholding. Speak with you HR/payroll dept to have withholding corrected.

lalori44

no, there are no weeks less than 40/ as a matter of fact/I work alot of overtime/ and on the weeks where there was less than 40/ fed was taken out/so it doesn't make sense/ yes I will have to talk to HR dept/ I have always filed with my husband/me/and my son as my dependent/ and I always got alot of money back/ I just want to make sure I get my money back this time....and not end up owing...I have always had in the past fed/state taxes taken out at that time too/and this situation has never happened before...so I guess we shall see when I file what my tax man says...

justalayman

I absolutely understand; been there done that

If you have a nice payroll dept. as them to explain further. Ultimately if you end up not owing the IRS or state anything additional, you came out ok and they did nothing wrong. It almost looks as they are not witholding to adjust for excess withholding earlier. (just a guess).

There are some very informed HR folks and ,I believe, tax preparers/atty's/cpa's that advise on this site. Hang tight and maybe one of them will pick up on this and give you more.

LdiJ

With weekly gross earnings of 440.00 (paid weekly) at married with 2 exemptions, an employer is supposed to withhold 16.00 per week in federal income tax. With overtime, that would be more. Naturally if payroll is biweekly then it would be higher.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">