• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rollover waiting period after recharacterization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edbro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

In 2014 I contributed to ROTH IRAs for both me and my wife. Now I realize that I was over the income limits so I recharacterized the ROTH contributions (plus earnings) into a traditional IRA. Do I need to wait any length of time before I rollover the monies back into my ROTH? I keep reading about a 30day/1 year time limit on conversions but I'm not sure if my situation is considered a conversion. I know I have to pay tax on the earnings but not the initial contributions as they are now non-deductible contributions. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you

FlyingRon

No time limit as long as you are below the Roth contribution limits in the year you want to make the transfer and you pay the taxes. Once you do this however, the assets must remain in the Roth for five years

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">