• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sale of main residence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lholmes

Do I need to report the sale of my main residence even its qualify for the exclusion of $250,000 according to section 121? What are the advantages and disadvantages of reporting it?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

Do I need to report the sale of my main residence even its qualify for the exclusion of $250,000 according to section 121? What are the advantages and disadvantages of reporting it?What is the name of your state?
No, you are not required to report it nor would there be any advantage in doing so. The only time someone would report the sale of their primary residence is if their gain exceeding the 250k (or 500k if married filing jointly) exclusion.

tranquility

As LdiJ states, the law does not require reporting in your situation. However, we do on schedule D as a long term gain and then, on the next line write a negative for the amount we will claim as excluded with the discription of "section 121 exclusion amount".

The filing of the return starts the statute in any event, but we feel that full reporting prevents problems in the long run. Your mileage may vary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">