• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sales Tax Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whipsocket

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia, United States

About a month ago, I signed a lease for an annual rv spot in Georgia and split the payments up into 4 payments over 2 months. Upon looking at the lease the campground also added an additional 7% sales tax to the lease. I have never heard of a campground doing this before, so I began researching the laws regarding sales tax on an rv spot. Upon doing my research I contacted the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) to try to get an answer. The DOR responded with the following information:

http://rules.sos.state.ga.us/docs/560/12/2/51.pdf

Based on this and what I was told by the DOR that what I was leasing qualified as a parking spot for a trailer and was not subject to taxation in the state - especially if I was staying there more than 90 days. I approached the owner with this information, who also talked with accountants and the state and was told that there was no sales tax on this type of lease. So, going forward there is no tax for an annual lease at the campground.

However, the issue occurred yesterday when I paid my final payment for the lease. With the final payment - I subtracted the sales tax from my lease (since the spot was non-taxable according to the state of GA). Upon doing so, I was told by the owner that because he already paid the tax into the state for this lease - that I am obligated to pay him the full amount including the state sales tax. I was told that this was not up for discussion and that I must pay it in full or I was in breach of the terms of my lease and would need to re-negotiate the lease or lose the lease and the funds already paid in. So, I paid the state sales tax that was listed on the lease.

I was told by the state DOR that I could request a refund from the owner and then he can get a credit on his next return by putting down a deduction for the amount that he refunded OR he could also request a refund from the state after he refunded the sales tax.

Unfortunately, the owner does not want to provide a refund for the sales tax that I paid into the lease. Is there any recourse that I have at this point to get the sales tax back? What actions can I take to get a refund?

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

davew128

Contact the DOR and ask what the procedue is to get a refund from THEM. Ultimately THEY get the money. I would also drop a dime to a local news outlet and let them know what your campground is doing. They may not even be remitting the money to the DOR now that they know they weren't supposed to collect it.

I find odd the statement "I was told by the owner that because he already paid the tax into the state for this lease - that I am obligated to pay him the full amount including the state sales tax."

He DIDN'T pay the sales tax on lease payments he hadn't yet collected. That's a crock. I suspect he simply doesn't want to deal with the issue, and I'm sure his accountants have told him the proper course of action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">