• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sales Tax Texas, Collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikesDad

Texas, Sales Tax

I purchased text books from a company. At the time of the purchase, unbeknownst to me, the transaction did not include sales tax.

18 months later, I get a letter from them stating that they were audited by the State of Texas and owed back sales tax. With this letter I recieved a bill for $513.98 for the tax I was not charged due in 2 weeks.

I spoke with a representative from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts and was told that the company was passing this on to the consumers.

From a legal stand point, what is my responsibilty as a consumer? I assumed this to be included in the price as that is general practice. Can a derogatory item be placed on my credit report? I have never seen this in my life. I've never recieved a bill from anyone 18 months later for tax that should have been collected 18 months prior.
Thank you in advance.

Mike's Dad

LdiJ

Texas, Sales Tax

I purchased text books from a company. At the time of the purchase, unbeknownst to me, the transaction did not include sales tax.

18 months later, I get a letter from them stating that they were audited by the State of Texas and owed back sales tax. With this letter I recieved a bill for $513.98 for the tax I was not charged due in 2 weeks.

I spoke with a representative from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts and was told that the company was passing this on to the consumers.

From a legal stand point, what is my responsibilty as a consumer? I assumed this to be included in the price as that is general practice. Can a derogatory item be placed on my credit report? I have never seen this in my life. I've never recieved a bill from anyone 18 months later for tax that should have been collected 18 months prior.
Thank you in advance.

Mike's Dad
I don't think that this is really a tax question, or at least partially not a tax question. I think that its more of a consumer's rights question.

However, to owe that much tax, you had to have purchased quite a few textbooks. What did you do with them?

JETX

From a legal stand point, what is my responsibilty as a consumer?
Morally, you owe the sales tax you didn't pay.
Legally, absent a court order, they can't force you to pay.

I assumed this to be included in the price as that is general practice.
Where in the hell did you get that idea?? Sales tax is NEVER included in the price.

Can a derogatory item be placed on my credit report?
Of course it can. But it should be pretty easy to get it removed.

MikesDad

Where in the hell did you get that idea?? Sales tax is NEVER included in the price.

If I buy a car, my final price includes my sales tax. . . If I buy a bill of groceries, the sales tax is included in my final price. I am not billed 18 months later for tax on my groceries. I assumed my FINAL price included my sales tax.

I will not be back here. Just looking for some friendly advice, unfortunately I got this smart ass reply and asked what I did with my books. . .I got an education. DUH?!

irsos

If I buy a car, my final price includes my sales tax. . . If I buy a bill of groceries, the sales tax is included in my final price. I am not billed 18 months later for tax on my groceries. I assumed my FINAL price included my sales tax.

I will not be back here. Just looking for some friendly advice, unfortunately I got this smart ass reply and asked what I did with my books. . .I got an education. DUH?!
You bought over $6,000 in text books for an education? There is a lot more to this story.

LdiJ

I asked what you did with the books because that could have effected my response.

JETX

If I buy a car, my final price includes my sales tax. . . If I buy a bill of groceries, the sales tax is included in my final price.
And of course, that is 100% CRAP!!
Buy a car, look at the paperwork. Sales tax is listed as a separate item.
Buy groceries, look at the receipt. Sales tax is listed as a separate item.

And your lying about this.... makes us think that the rest of your post is also CRAP.

Even proven by your indignant, "I will not return" post. You got caught making something up and are too much of a coward to admit it.
Have a hap-hap-happy day, idiot!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">