• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schedule C loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dcg

What is the name of your state? new york

Started a sole prop in 03. That is I bought tools and a truck in 03. I have -0- income. Should I do the schedule C and show a loss or should I wait and put all the tools and vehicle in service in 04?

I'm concerned filing the first C with no income will produce an audit.

Also, if I put the tools and vehicle in service in 04, can I use the original cost or do I have to show some depreciation?

If more detail needed let me know.

Thanks

Thanks Snipes for the input on another question I had.

Snipes5

Showing a loss in the first year of a sole pro won't necessarily trigger an audit.

Showing losses for three years running, and NO income might be a bit suspicious.

Place the stuff in service, use MILEAGE for the truck, count only business mileage.

Whether or not you depreciate the tools depends on what they are.

Hammers, wrenches, etc, are an expense.

A larger tool you'd depreciate or use Sec 179, which allows you to take the entire cost the first year.

You might want to see a tax pro who can determine the best direction to take.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">